Sugar Free Home Preserving by Valerie Pearson is a simple, step-by-step guide to making delicious jams, conserves, fruit butters and curds, with no added sugar. Try this recipe straight from the cookbook for yourself.
Published on February 6, 2019
- 6 pears
- 2 litres water
- 400 g xylitol
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 6 whole star anise
- One lemon (for the peel)
- Prepare your 750 ml jars and lids by sterilising them in boiling water for ten minutes.
- In a large pot combine water and xylitol and bring them to a simmer.
- Peel and half pears and remove the cores. Place the pears into hot xylitol syrup and bring them back to simmer. Simmer for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Once simmered, using tongs place the pears into previously prepared, hot jars.
- To each jar, add a cinnamon stick, two whole star anise and some fresh lemon peel.
- Top up with the liquid the pears were cooked in, leaving a two centimetre head space.
- Process the filled jars in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Images and recipes from Sugar Free Home Preserving by Valerie Pearson, RRP $39.95