Looking for a crafty, gluten-free cake for the festive season? Dietitian and culinary nutritionist Caroline Trickey suggests this flavour-packed, yet simple dessert; so there is less time to worry about the food and more time for friends and family this Christmas.
Gluten-Free Christmas Log
1 kg ricotta cheese
12 large Raw Cacao Food Crafters cookies (50g)
1/3 cup maple syrup
Zest of one orange
- Use an electric beater to beat the ricotta, syrup and orange zest in a bowl until well combined. (Note: this can be done up to two days ahead and refridgereted)
- Spread a little of the ricotta mixture on a serving platter to make the base.
- Spread one cookie with ricotta mixture. Place another biscuit on top to sandwich together. Do this until you have six pairs.
- Spread one of these biscuit sandwiches with ricotta. Stand up it up on the serving platter and join on another of the sandwiches to form a log.
- Repeat by getting another sandwich, spread with ricotta cream and join to the log until you have used all sandwich pairs.
- Spread the remaining ricotta mixture over biscuit log to cover. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours to set.
- Decorate as you like – fresh raspberries and blueberries are highly reccommended.
- To serve, slice the cake so that each slice gets one cookie, along with plenty of the ricotta cream.
TIP: To make a smaller log use a 12-pack of The Food Crafters Raw Cacao mini cookies. Halve the ingredients and follow directions as per above.