Sugar Free Home Preserving by Valerie Pearson is a simple, step-by-step guide to making delicious jams, conserves, fruit butters and curds, with no added sugar. Try this recipe straight from the cookbook for yourself.
Published on February 6, 2019
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 400 grams xylitol or sugar
- 2 teaspoon calcium water
- 2 teaspoon Pomona’s Pectin
- Prepare your 250 ml jars and lids by sterilising them in boiling water for ten minutes.
- The sterilisation step can be skipped and you can use washed, rinsed, hot jars if you are processing for 10 minutes or more in the boiling water bath at the end of the recipe.
- Remove the skin from the tomatoes by dropping them into boiling water for 30 second and then placing them in a bowl of ice water. The skins will loosen and slip right off.
- Chop your skinned tomatoes and place them into your preserving pan, along with the lemon juice. Simmer over a low to medium heat until you have a pulpy consistency.
- Mix your pectin in with your xylitol and then add this to your tomato, mixing in well and ensuring it is dissolved.
- Add the calcium water.
- Using a high heat and stirring occasionally, bring your jam mixture to a full rolling boil and boil for one to two minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a ladle and jar funnel place your jam into your hot, 250 ml jars, leaving a one and a half centimetre headspace. Clean the rims of the jar to ensure you get a good clean seal and cap with your lids.
- Process your filled jars in a boiling water bath for five minutes.
- Alternatively, if you did not pre-sterilise your jars and lids, process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Images and recipes from Sugar Free Home Preserving by Valerie Pearson, RRP $39.95