‘A healthy body is the guest-chamber of the soul; a sick, its prison.’ ~Francis Bacon
Taking time out at a destination spa is high on my list of enjoyable ways of keeping healthy. I have just returned from 10 nights at Kamalaya Wellness Sanctuary and Holistic Spa Resort located on the island of Koh Samui in Thailand.
Why a Destination Spa Resort? A number of features that would appeal to many people are:
- An all-encompassing spa environment where the whole emphasis is on getting healthy, finding new energy and getting inspired to jump start a new you
- An adult environment
- Packages that include accommodation, all meals & beverages (non alcoholic), classes, lectures and a number of spa treatments
- A sense of camaraderie and an atmosphere where everyone has a similar focus
- Lots of programmed activity that includes: exercise classes (yoga, pilates, aqua, power walking/hikes, fit ball), meditation, and lectures on health and personal growth
- Healthy food with a focus on fresh ingredients*
- Time to relax, rejuvenate and manage stress
I was traveling solo at Kamalaya and found the experience very comfortable – lots of activities to do every day and a community table to join at breakfast and for dinner as there were a considerable number of people on their own.
The Kamalya cuisine* is a combination of nutritious and delicious Thai style dishes. I chose to follow the detox/ideal weight menu and loved it (Entree, Soup, Main Course, Dessert); otherwise there is an A La Carte menu. With over forty different juice and smoothie combinations, a juice was a must at every meal and was well and truly chosen over alcohol!
Kamalaya was recently awarded, for the second time since the awards began, the Destination Spa of the Year: Asia & Australasia 2014 at the World Spa awards in London.