Sugar Free Home Preserving by Valerie Pearson is a simple, step-by-step guide to making delicious jams, conserves, fruit butters and curds, with no added sugar. Try this recipe straight from the cookbook for yourself.
Published on February 20, 2020
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 200 – 225 g xylitol
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 115 g butter
- Prepare your 250 ml jars and lids by sterilising them in boiling water for ten minutes.
- Place a medium to large metal bowl over, but not touching, a pot of hot, but not boiling, water.
- Place the xylitol, butter, lemon juice and zest into the bowl and whisk together until the butter and sugar have melted.
- Slowly add the beaten egg mixture to the xylitol, butter, lemon mixture, mixing continuously until the curd thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to overcook the curd or it will become too thick when it cools down. You also need to be careful that you add the egg slowly and that the sugar and butter mixture is not too hot or you will cook the egg and end up with a scrambled egg consistency.
- Once the curd is cooked, spoon it into your hot, sterilised, 250 ml jars, leaving a one and a half centimetre headspace. Clean the rims of the jar to ensure you get a good clean seal and cap with your sterilised lids.
- Lemon curd cannot be processed in a boiling water bath and must be stored in the fridge until eaten.
Images and recipes from Sugar Free Home Preserving by Valerie Pearson, RRP $39.95