Roast Chicken and Fritters
Published on October 4, 2017
“A roast chicken is hard to beat if it’s done well. This recipe delivers succulent chicken with a crispy skin every time. Cooking times will fluctuate according to chicken size and efficiency of your oven.”
Recipe by Secret Serve & Scott Gooding
Check out more family-friendly dishes in Scott Gooding’s latest multi-meal e-book here
- 2 brown onions – peeled & halved
- 1 small brown onion – finely diced
- 1 x whole chicken
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 sprig of lemon thyme
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 650g sweet potato – coarsely grated
- 6 eggs
- 1 – 2 tsp butter or coconut oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Pre heat oven to 250C.
- Begin by prepping the chicken – Insert the onion and ½ sprig of lemon thyme into the cavity of the chicken.
- Make a small incision above the cavity, under the skin (beneath the skin and breast). Insert 1 tbsp butter under the skin.
- Place the chicken in a large baking dish.
- Pop the chicken on the high shelf in the oven and reduce the temp to 190C. Cook for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the sweet potato, flour, lightly whisked eggs, onion and seasoning in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the butter/coconut oil on a medium heat, grab 1/4 of sweet potato batter and place into the pan. Flatten down with the back of a spatula. Cook for 4 minutes on one side before flipping and cooking for a further 2 on the other. Repeat for remaining 1/4 batches.
- Remove from the heat.
- After 60 minutes remove the chicken and allow to rest (10mins).
- Remove the meat from the chicken and serve with the fritters