In 2020 St Saviour’s Primary School is celebrating 175 years of Catholic Education in Queensland. St Saviour’s Primary School is the oldest Catholic school in Toowoomba and the Toowoomba Diocese.

The school was staffed by lay teachers until Bishop Quinn of Brisbane made the decision to send the Sisters of Mercy to teach in the school in 1873. Father Dunne, the parish priest of St Patrick’s was not pleased with this decision and Miss Kate Reardon remained in charge of the school for some time.

The church school was extended in 1880 and was destroyed by fire soon after. The third St Patrick’s Church opened in March 1889 by Bishop Dunne. In 1899 the school moved to its present site to make way for the new church (the Cathedral) and a new school building was erected in 1914. A secondary school was also established up to Yeat 10 and was known as St Patrick’s Roman Catholic High School.

The high school was extended to Year 12 in 1931. Bishop Roper, in 1938, renamed the school St Saviour’s School, taking the name of the convent where the Sisters of Mercy lived. The St Saviour’s Preschool opened in 1994 and in 1976 the present school building was built. The school was extended in 1985 to include a library, multi-purpose room and administration area. In 2002, an Early Education Unit consisting of two Prep classrooms was opened to extend facilities.

In 1994, Mr Peter Lynam replaced Sr Sue O’Neill as the first lay principal since 1874. The Mercy sisters continued to have a presence in the school until 2000. The current principal is Ms Madonna Sleba.

Readers also enjoyed our story about USQ Astronomer